Mycotoxin Testing

Exposure to Black Mold & The Role of Mycotoxin Testing

Mycotoxin Testing For Toxic Mold Exposure

Mold exposure is quickly becoming one of the major causes of chronic disease. This can be exposure from your home, workplace, or vehicle. We also know that people are being exposed to mold by eating foods contaminated with mycotoxins, typically filled with preservatives, to have a longer shelf life.

Mycotoxins are toxic compounds that are produced by mold. Urine testing for mycotoxins is a reliable method of diagnosing mold and mycotoxin exposure and possible illness.

Mycotoxins build up in the body. We do a urine collection, then we send the urine sample to a lab, and they analyze the urine for mycotoxins.

If mycotoxins are showing up in the urine, then we know that there has been some mold exposure at some point in this person’s life.

What is The Mycotoxins Test?

Mycotoxins (toxins from mold) are some of the most prevalent toxins in the environment. The Mycotoxins test from Vibrant Wellness tests for toxic mold exposure by analyzing 31 of the most common mycotoxins to which humans are exposed.

The highly sensitive methodology based on mass spectrometry (MS) used on the test allows the clinically relevant assessment of difficult-to-detect toxins causative of serious diseases in humans. MS can detect small molecules and mycotoxins as small as 5 pcg, greatly expanding the number of available mycotoxins detected.

Mycotoxins are metabolites produced by fungi like mold, which can infest vehicles, buildings, and foodstuffs. Most mycotoxin exposures in Europe, North America, and Australia are through airborne exposure.

People at risk for mycotoxin exposure include those who work or live in older buildings, those with impaired immune responses or higher levels of oxidative stress, and those who have known exposure to water-damaged buildings.

Which Patients is the Mycotoxins Test Best Used For?

Mycotoxin symptoms are often vague and difficult to associate with a
diagnosis. However, several diseases and symptoms are linked to mycotoxin exposure. These include fever, fatigue, and weakness.

Pneumonia-like symptoms, chronic burning in the throat and nasal passages, coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath, rheumatic disease, morning stiffness or joint pain, muscle weakness, heart disease, eye irritation or tearing of the eyes, headache or light sensitivity, loss of balance asthma, sinusitis, cancer, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or bloating, heightened sensitivity to chemicals and foods vision loss, slower reaction time, memory loss, skin rashes, disorientation or dizziness, depression, ADHD, anxiety, and liver damage.

A higher incidence of autoimmune or neurological symptoms can be found in patients with mycotoxin toxicity.

What Type of Sample is Needed to Complete the Mycotoxins Test?

A urine sample is required for the test. If the urine is too concentrated or diluted, it may affect the detection of mycotoxins, leading to false negatives or false positives. Consider that normal urine color ranges from pale yellow to deep amber. A urine color of pale yellow is the most desirable sample.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content